Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Bestie"

      It was the end of summer in 1982. I was officially a college freshman and driving to Virginia from Massachusetts to embark on my "college years". I was scared to death. Finally after getting settled in and meeting my roommate (who left after the first year) I fell into a group of girls from another dorm and we just clicked. I moved over to that dorm and we became known as "3BC", our little nickname for ourselves. We all got along great but we had our "besties". Mary was mine.

     Mary was from Norton, Va. and like many other of the girls went home on the weekends to spend time with her family and boyfriend. I tagged along sometimes and other times she would stay at school and we would laugh, goof off and just hang out. I didn't get to graduate from my class because I didn't do very well and had to stay another year, but that is another story. Mary and the gang graduated and moved on but never out of my life. We both got married and then her husband was in a horrible car accident. That was rough but we made it through. She remarried and I was asked to be in her wedding and "3BC" was back together. I moved to Puerto Rico with my husband and had to hear the tragic news of her brother's death due to a fire in her childhood home. She knew I couldn't make it home to be with her and she understood. We both had children two years apart but on the same date, I thought that was the coolest thing! Then another tragedy struck. Her other brother died due to an illness. She stood strong and made it through this dark period in her life. I have never met anyone stronger.

     Mary now lives in South Carolina and while finances don't allow us to visit often, we did get a chance to visit a couple of summers ago while we were driving through her area and it was the quickest but best way to end a family vacation! We may not see each other often or speak on the phone but when we do, it is like we just spoke yesterday and she still makes me laugh like no one else!!

     Mary is my idol and my hero and I am so proud to call her friend.

Thanks to Write on Edge for this writing prompt.......

2 comments:

Lindy Phippen Smith said...

Wow, she seems amazing, it also seems she has needed a friend like you to make it through

lovemyspy said...

Thanks, Lindy....